Recipe: summer squash salad with basil and pine nuts
You can run in a lot of different directions with this sort of raw vegetable salad: zucchini ribons, fennel, celery, shaved asparagus, what have you. Basically, thinly sliced veggies + olive oil + lemon + parm = yum.
* 1 1/2 lbs summer squash (such as yellow squash or zucchini), julienned
* 1 clove garlic, minced
* zest from 1 lemon
* juice from 2 lemons
* 4 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
* 3 tablespoons pinenuts
* 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
* 20-30 fresh basil leaves, julienned
* salt to taste
Combine all ingredients and serve.
* Here’s a how-to on julienned vegetables (not much to it really)
* And here’s a how-to on julienned basil, which is actually chiffonaded basil, which does involve a little trick
* If you prefer your garlic mild, keep in mind that you can smash a clove, toss it whole with the salad, and then remove it
Take the first step.
Start small. Be conscious of the impact your actions have on the environment and figure out what you can do to lessen the blow. Calculate, conserve, and offset.
For businesses, our Corporate Sustainability Plans can help you with your emission reduction goals.