Recipe: summer squash salad with basil and pine nuts
You can run in a lot of different directions with this sort of raw vegetable salad: zucchini ribons, fennel, celery, shaved asparagus, what have you. Basically, thinly sliced veggies + olive oil + lemon + parm = yum.
* 1 1/2 lbs summer squash (such as yellow squash or zucchini), julienned
* 1 clove garlic, minced
* zest from 1 lemon
* juice from 2 lemons
* 4 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
* 3 tablespoons pinenuts
* 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
* 20-30 fresh basil leaves, julienned
* salt to taste
Combine all ingredients and serve.
* Here’s a how-to on julienned vegetables (not much to it really)
* And here’s a how-to on julienned basil, which is actually chiffonaded basil, which does involve a little trick
* If you prefer your garlic mild, keep in mind that you can smash a clove, toss it whole with the salad, and then remove it