Under the pending rules of the U.S. Green Building Council’s (USGBC) LEED accreditation process, you can earn Energy & Atmosphere (EA) credits through the purchase of carbon offsets and renewable energy credits (RECs) as part of a net zero pollution goal. (See LEED point details below)
Renewable Energy Credits (RECs)
All of our RECs are Green-e certified, which means they are verified through the nation’s leading independent consumer protection program for the sale of renewable energy and greenhouse gas reductions in the retail market. You will receive a product content label (PCL) with your order so you know where and how each kilowatt hour was produced.
TerraPass is the nation’s top developer of LEED-eligible offset projects, and can help you earn these points in a cost-effective manner. Every one of the over 20 projects in our portfolio is:
- ~ Located in the U.S.,
- ~ Registered and verified under the Climate Action Reserve (“CAR”) or Verified Carbon Standard (“VCS”), and
- ~ Started after January 1, 2006.
More Than Just LEED Points
All of TerraPass’ offsets meet and surpass the LEED requirements. More importantly, our high quality projects reflect well on your brand. Our retail-approved projects meet a higher threshold for quality assurance, including:
- ~ additional due diligence to reduce the risk of negative press,
- ~ a more rigorous additionality screen than is required by CAR or VCS to ensure maximum environmental impact by project, and
- ~ clearance through a public comment period to ensure project acceptability by customers and the general public.
LEED Point Details
The LEEDv4 Rating System is now in final draft version. Current highlights include:
- ~ Carbon offsets may be used to mitigate Scope 1 or Scope 2 emissions on a metric ton of carbon‐dioxide‐equivalent basis,
- ~ RECs can only be used to mitigate the impacts of Scope 2, electricity use,
- ~ RECS and offsets for US buildings must be from US projects,
- ~ Must be procured from a Green‐e Climate endorsed program such as CAR or VCS.
Points are available on the following basis:
Percent of total energy Offset*
Percent of total energy Offset* Possible Points
* Or from RECs where possible
To reach a Carbon Balanced Business advisor, call 1-877-210-9581
or click here to fill out our contact form.