You may not be so excited about your old cellphone anymore, but chances are that somebody else will be. Better still, you might even get paid for it. For example, a Motorola Razr V3 is worth $21.
**How this helps**
Recycling your old phone keeps it and its (likely toxic) battery out of the landfill. Your phone also contains precious metals including copper and silver. If these are recycled it lessens the demand for mining new metals. The Environmental Protection Agency says that recycling a million phones will reduce greenhouse gases by the same amount as taking 1,368 cars off the road for a year.
– Visit ripmobile.com and check out how much your phone is worth. You can trade it in for gift certificates that you can use at terrapass.com.
– US EPA’s “Easy Call” program.
– Read about the precious metals in cellphones.
– Keep your chargers and electronics unplugged when not in use
– Recycle your old electronic equipment